How about macro == symbol for mixin statement? [was Re: Member functions C to D]

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 09:16:50 PDT 2009

On 10/10/2009 10:50, Don wrote:
> Yigal Chripun wrote:

>>> Right. It adds something huge that's normally compiler-specific to the
>>> language. This makes me uncomfortable. It greatly increases the
>>> difficulty of implementation.
>>>
>> I disagree - a properly designed compiler will have such an API anyway.
>
> Not if you have compilers from different vendors. And that's one of the
> key problems with making such an API part of language -- the potential
> for vendor lock-in.

if each compiler has its own API than you're correct but what I was
talking about was a standard API that is part of the stdlib which the
different vendors need to implement in order to be considered compliant
to the language spec. the compiler internals need not be identical only
the API as defined in the spec.

>>> Reread. Current D metaprogramming is hackish. Nemerle's isn't.
>>
>> I was referring to what Don said that providing a hook into the
>> compiler is hackish.
>
> I stand by that.
> Look, I was Forth guy back in the day. Forth and Lisp both have
> hack-free macros. Particularly in the case of Forth, the language is
> largely defined in the library; you can even make the case that the
> compiler is part of the library. So there's no problem with the library
> extending the language.
> But in the case of Nemerle, it's a conventional compiler with hooks for
> library code.

I don't know how deep you looked into Nemerle, but from my understanding
that description is false. Nemerle is much closer to your description of
Forth than you'd think.
Nemerle supports syntax extensions and parts of the language are already
implemented as macros.
They are now considering to generalize this construct further so they
could implement more of Nemerle as Macros.