some questions about D

Luis P. Mendes luislupeXXX at gmailXXX.com
Thu Oct 22 09:50:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm about to begin a project on artificial intelligence, decision trees
and some other algorithmic stuff that needs runtime and development speed.

I've been looking to D before, but ended up reading and learning some C+
+.  But C++ seems more complex than I need and outdated (my opinion).
As Python (the language I used to program) is not suitable for the task,
I kindly ask you some questions.  I only need short answers!

1) Can I access a PostgreSQL and/or MySQL database from D?  Are there
(fast/reliable) database adapters?
2) Is it easy to use C++ libraries?  Is it close to use them from inside C
++ programs?
3) D compilers don't yet compile natively in 64 bits processors? Mine is
a x86_64 Linux system.
4) I have to use huge (for me) amounts of data, maybe I'll make use of
most of my 8GB RAM memory.  Will I find problems due to any compiler/
language limit?
5) Besides Alexei forthcoming book, is there documentation for the whole
language and not only to part of it as in http://compsci.ca/v3/
viewtopic.php?t=9518 and http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_Beginner%
27s_Guide_to_D ?
6) Is D version 2 suitable for a beginner like me starting a new project?
7) What advantages can I have in using Tango? Speed? Ease of development?
will it be integrated as standard?

Luis