Linking in an .so on linux with rebuild?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 18:44:14 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I can't seem to get that to work. Tried all sorts of stuff. Off the top of
> my head:
>
> -ll<thelibname>
> -ll<thelibname>.so
> "-L-l <thelibname>"
> "-L-l <thelibname>.so"
> -L-l -L<thelibname>
> -L-l -L<thelibname>.so
>
> None of them were able to find the file (and, yes, the name+path are right),
> and I'm not using any links.

I've had exactly the same problem in trying to compile MiniD on Ubuntu
last night.

MiniD wants libhistory, but -llhistory doesn't work.

What's worrying me is that even if I call ld directly and pass
-lhistory, IT says it can't find it, either.  It's in /lib, so I have no
idea what's going on.

Passing the .so directly on the command line, like on Windows, doesn't
appear to work as either rebuild or DMD is chucking a wobbly at the .so
file, complaining it doesn't know what that extension is for.