What if gc.disable at all

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 06:37:52 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Sam Hu <samhudotsamhu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greeting to everybody,
>
> If this is too silly a question,please just ignore it.
>
> I was wondering what if GC is turned off during the lifetime of the application?Just as if D is a better,safer/unsafer C with class?Can't work?Or some special stuff need to handle?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
> Regards,
> Sam

You can do it. You have to avoid some features - setting array length,
concatenating/appending arrays, using associative arrays in any way -
but other than that it works fine. One thing you'll notice though is
that D1 makes it very difficult to do any kind of automated manual
memory management. D2 at least gives you struct destructors and
postblits, which makes writing something like a C++ smart_ptr within
reach.