^^ implementation [Was: Re: Code speed]

Justin Spahr-Summers Justin.SpahrSummers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 20:20:59 PDT 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 05:58:55 -0400, bearophile
<bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

> Don:
>
> >Raising to a float power is really a niche feature.<
>
> Used it as x^^0.5 to perform the square root is not a niche feature, square roots are common enough.
> And sqrt is an intrinsic, it doesn't need all std.math.

I think I've only ever used a square root once, and that was to get the
distance between two points. I'm not sure that square roots are common
enough in general code to justify an implicit import (especially if we
think of D in its context as a systems programming language).