Newsgroups, off-topic

eles eles at eles.com
Fri Apr 16 06:26:00 PDT 2010

Hello,

 I just started using D (2.0). I have three or four questions:

 1) How to use the newsgroup link (e.g. news://news.digitalmars.com/
digitalmars.D.learn) to read the newsgroup? Is the "news://" protocol handled
by some program under Linux (Ubuntu, 64)? I write this using the HTTP interface
(e.g. http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/indexing.php?
server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D) which is not very pleasant.
COuld we, at least, have an interface like the one used by archives? (e.g.
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/
Re_value_range_propagation_for_bitwise_OR_108807.html)? And a SEARCH button?

 2) What is the status of complex numbers in D2? Is stated that module
std.complex will replace the built-in types cfloat, cdouble, creal, ifloat,
idouble, and ireal. When and... how?

 2a) Why the following program has the following output?

 import std.stdio;
real x;
ireal y;
creal z;

int main(){
	x=3;
	y=5i;
	z=x+y;
	writefln("x=%f",x);
	writefln("y=%f",y);
	writefln("z=%f",z);
	return 0;
}
=================================
x=3.000000
y=5.000000
z=3.000000+5.000000i

Since y is an ireal number, I would have expected to be written as 5.000000i,
not 5.000000. This is even more confussing as "%f" formatting seems to handle
well creal numbers, but not ireal ones.

 3) When DMD for Linux will be 64-bit, too? (Now it works, with multilib).
However, it is a nuisance to install multilib.

 Thanks everybody.

 Eles