Newsgroups, off-topic

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 08:08:09 PDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:50:37 -0400, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>> Simen kjaeraas wrote:

>>> So which do you suggest be used instead - the one that doesn't work on
>>> Windows (no exceptions) or the one that requires Walter to give away
>>> all rights to his work?
>>>
>> 	Actually, gcc doesn't require Walter to give away all rights to his
>> work just to use it as a backend (or else the gdc project wouldn't
>> exist). It would require ceding the rights only if Walter wanted D
>> to be part of the official gcc distribution.
>>  		Jerome
>
> No, the problem is that it potentially makes him give away the rights to
> the dmd backend. Which I think he can't legally do, even if he wanted to.

I don't think there is any danger of this, it would be well established
that Walter wrote all his proprietary backend code before he viewed gcc
source.  The danger is for future code he writes.

Personally, I am not too concerned about the backend performance, it's not
critical to D at this time.  Someone, somewhere, will make this better,
and then any code written in D magically gets faster :)  We're talking
about decreasing the constant for the D compiler complexity, not
decreasing the complexity.  Code built with dmd runs plenty fast for me
(save the GC performance, maybe we can focus on that first?).

-Steve