A confusing expression?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Aug 2 03:59:12 PDT 2010

Jason Spencer:
> the result is not unambiguous, it just requires that the
> reader understand precedence.  That's an arguably good thing in any
> case.

You can say exactly the same thing regarding bug 4077. But we have chosen otherwise. Programming is done by people that do mistakes, so in some situations it's better to forbid some bug-prone syntax. In the case of * / the tool I have used asks for extra parenthesis. In this case I don't know what the best solution is yet.

Bye,
bearophile