Casting away const

BCS none at anon.com
Mon Aug 9 07:24:56 PDT 2010

Hello Steven,

> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 17:56:25 -0400, simendsjo
> <simen.endsjo at pandavre.com>  wrote:
>
>> I'm totally new to the const/immutable thing, so this might be a
>> naive  question..
>>
>> The spec says:
>> "modification after casting away const" => "undefined behavior"
> I thought it was "you're on your own", not undefined behavior.  The
> former  implies there is some "right" way to do this if you know more
> about the  data than the compiler, the latter implies that there is no
> right way to  cast away const.  Am I wrong?

I think you are right re the meaning of those terms but I think what you
thought it to be is more along the lines of what is correct. I /think/ the
situation is that there are things that will work reliably and things that
result in undefined behavior and you're on your own figuring out what is
what.

--
... <IXOYE><