having trouble linking a library into a DLL

Cody Rose rosecodym at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 14:04:55 PDT 2010

I'm trying to create a Windows DLL as described in the tutorial at
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/dll.html. I got the basic example working
fine, but if I try to get more complicated, it doesn't work. Specifically, I'm
trying to link another static library into my DLL (the project is called canto):

dmd -ofcanto.dll -L/IMPLIB canto.d dllmain.d canto.def IddParserD.lib

Based on the example given, this seems like it should work, but when I run it,
neither the .dll nor its implementation lib is created (even though DMD
reports no errors). A canto.obj was generated and I tried to use optlink
directly, but again no .dll was created.

Additionally, if I leave the .lib off the DMD command line, DMD reports link
errors (as it should) but then somehow builds a .dll and ATA.lib anyway (I
don't know why it's not naming the implementation library correctly).
(Naturally, these are not useful for anything.)

How am I supposed to do what I'm trying to do?