Can't get D calling C to build.

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Aug 21 14:25:43 PDT 2010

Bob Cowdery:
> Why does a modern language use an old object format I wonder.

This problem will need to be addressed (among others).

> The language itself is nice but the
> hassle factor for mixed language multi-platform seems quite high. I hope
> I'm wrong on both counts.

Despite being in the works for about ten years, D language is young, and the manpower working on its tools and back-end is quite limited, so such problems get solved slowly. In theory help from external people may help the situation, but it's not an easy job (are you able to change dmd object format?).

Languages as Scala become usable in less time because they are based on an already existing virtual machine with good GC, a std lib, tons of tools, etc. D is both an ambitious language (C++ class performance with a better design) and is not much based on existing 'platforms'. So progress is slow. On the other hand Walter has shown to be determined and able to go on and on, so I have hope that many problems will be addressed :-)

Bye,
bearophile