casting int to uint and vice versa - performance

Michal Minich michal.minich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 13:34:51 PST 2010

What is performance overhead for casting value of type int to uint and in
the opposite direction. What happen when I cast int to int or uint to uint
(for the simplicity in generic code). I suppose there is no difference,
and it is in fact no-op for processor - it depends only on
interpretation. Only when making other operations compiler may generate
different instruction when he considers some value of either of types. Am
I right?

Thank you.