Concurrency and transfering "ownership" of data between threads?

Heywood Floyd soul8o8 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 12:45:17 PST 2010

Good Evening from Berlin!

Have been reading the chapter about concurrency by Andrei. Nice.

I have some questions, of varying quality, I'm sure.

Let's say that we have some sort of structure of rather complex data. To give us something concrete to talk about, let's say this data is a tree of nodes representing 3-dimensional objects. It could look something like this: (Not complete example, just to give an idea.)

// ...
class Cube : Node{
   float x, y, z, size, mass, elasticity;
   // ...
}
// ...
tree.add(new Cube("cube1"));
tree["cube1"].add(new Cube("cube2"));

Let's further say that this structure of data will be subjected to two different activities: 1) We will change properties of some nodes according to some complex lengthy calculations, which may even entail changing the position of nodes in the tree, and 2) we will traverse the tree in a recursive manner and read the properties in order to render a representation of these nodes to screen.

These two activities will then be repeated many times, so, let's say we wish to do these two activities in parallel as much as possible!

How do we do that?

>From what I can tell, one way of doing this would be to actually have two data structures, one which is the "original" and is used for the calculations, and one which is just a copy of the data after each calculation. We could then insert a third activity, which me can call "copy", inbetween the two threads. Something like this:

|== Calculate ===| Copy |
                           |    v   |===== Render ====|

Seems to me this would then allow us to interlock these two activites:

..|== Calculate ===| Copy |== Calculate ====|..
..|=== Render  ===|    v   |=== Render ====|..

(Sorry if the ASCII graphics looks skewed.)
So let me just try and set up some kind of rudamentary code for this in layman's D:

// import ...
void main()
{
    auto tree = new Node();
    tree.add(new Cube("cube1"));

    auto child = spawn(&renderLoop, thisTid);

    while(true)
    {
        calc(tree);
        auto treeCopy = tree.deepDup();
        receiveOnly!bool();
        send(child, treeCopy);

void renderLoop(Tid parent){
{
    send(parent, true);
    while(true)
    {
        Node tree = receiveOnly!Node();
        render(tree);
        send(parent, true);

So a couple of thoughts here.

- Is this looking ok? What is the "proper" way of going about this?

- How do we send over a large chunk of complex data to another thread and sort of let them assume "ownership" of this data? So that the thread receiving the data does not need any locks etc. when working with the data? I suppose we could send over the entire treeCopy as immutable (?) but let's for the sake of argument assume that renderLoop() needs to be able to _write_ in the copy of the tree structure too!

(- Sidenote: How do we efficiently copy a tree-structure of data several times per second? Sounds insane to me?)

Let's further, for the sake of argument, NOT consider that the GPU will do most of the rendering and that in effect parallelising in this particular case may be marginally beneficial. Let's simply assume we have only one processor here: your normal household dual-core CPU, and a VGA-graphics card from the 80s.

For me, in my head, parallelising is very much about designing a flow of data through different processes, and this flow chart will have certain "hot spots" where data must be guarded. You have one process doing something and then "transfering over" some data to the next process that continues the calculations. (With process I simply mean data processing activity, not a "unix process".)

|---calc A--->O----calc C----> etc.

O = transfer point

I find it difficult to see how this is done in D. (Of course, I'm not sure this "transfer"-idea makes any practical sense.) I understand immutable makes data read-only, contagiously, and shared makes data heavily guarded.

But yes, is there any way we can transfer "ownership" (not sure if that is the right term) of data from one thread to another? So that we can have two threads working on two pieces data, then let them copy it (or not!), and then transfer ownership and have a third thread work on the copied data, without barriers or guards or stuff like that during the time of actual work?

Kind regards and sorry for a lengthy sporadic post
/Heywood Floyd