Examples using Tango

Daren Scot Wilson darenw at darenscotwilson.com
Wed Dec 29 14:09:57 PST 2010

I've been interested for a long time in learning D and using it for image
processing and physics number crunching.  Now I've got a few days in a row
to study.   Unfortunately I'm getting stuck even with "Hello World" due to
most examples of D I find seem to be using Phobos instead of Tango.

Indeed, I'm not clear as to which is the best to use.  For me, "best" is
defined primarily as "it works on my machine" but secondarily I care about
speed and ease of use.

I'm using LDC (the llvm-based compiler) because it's 64-bit and maybe can
handle D2.   The D1/D2 doesn't matter a lot, though the statement "D version
2 which is recommended for new projects" on the home page sways me to use
D2.   But 64 bit is vital, since I want to work on huge arrays.   The only
limitation of LDC is apparently it works only with Tango.

If I could rub a genie's lamp and have three wishes granted, they are:

1) Is it possible to get the source and compile Phobos for use with LVM?

2) Existing code examples should always indicate whether they use Tango or
Phobos.  Ideally, every example would be presented twice, once for each.
This might be redundant or pointless for old-timers and D experts, but for
newbies like me it would help avoid wasting time.

3)  I'd like to see a translation page with two columns, Phobos and Tango,
showing how to do the most common things we all need to do - printf() or
whatever, basic binary file i/o, etc. There could be a third column for C or
C++ to help us C++ programmers make the transition.