DMD on x86_64

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Wed Feb 17 18:19:52 PST 2010

On 15/02/10 15:54, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> I've been wanting to try D2 properly for a while now, but as I use linux
> x86-64 I've had to resort to using a virtual machine, which is really
> off putting when I just want to play around with it. I've read multiple
> threads about getting dmd working with a multilib system, but I still
> can't get it working, here's what I've tried:

I managed to get it working! Took a lot of effort, but in short:

% yaourt -S lib32-glibc-multilib

# The next step should be yaourt -S gcc-multilib, but the package
# is broken currently, and I suspect most people don't really want
# to install another locale and wait over an hour for gcc to compile
# only to find you forgot something and have to start again, so...

% cd /tmp

# I've uploaded my precompiled version of gcc-multilib with the tweaks
# I needed to compile already done, removing the need to install new
# locales and wait for gcc to compile, aren't I nice?
# I might even post newer versions here when the package is updated on
# AUR :)

% wget http://omploader.org/vM2w4cw

# I know this step looks questionable, it's needed though (try skipping
# it if you want a reason)

% sudo pacman -Rd gcc lib32-glibc lib32-glibc-multilib lib32-gcc-libs

# And install gcc-multilib

% sudo pacman -U gcc-multilib-4.4.2-10-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz

# You should now be able to use dmd :)

% cat > hello.d <<EOF
import std.stdio;

void main()
{
         writeln( "Hello World!" );
}
EOF
% dmd hello.d
% ./hello
Hello World!

Hope this helps anyone having trouble getting dmd working on Arch Linux
x86-64 :) Thanks to everyone who helped me, I probably wouldn't have
managed without your help :)

Robert