segfaults

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 18:41:25 PST 2010

Ellery Newcomer wrote:

> Is there any decent way to figure out where segfaults are coming from?
>
> e.g. 200k lines of bad code converted from java
>
> I tried gdb, and it didn't seem to work too well.
>
> Die: DW_TAG_type_unit (abbrev 3, offset 0x6d)
>    parent at offset: 0xb
>    has children: FALSE
>    attributes:
>      DW_AT_byte_size (DW_FORM_data1) constant: 8
> Dwarf Error: Missing children for type unit [in module /home/ellery/dxl.exe]
> Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install glibc-2.11.1-1.i686
>

> And I'm not proficient with gdb.
>
> dmd 1.056 / tango .99999 or whatever
>
> fedora linux

I never tried getting a core dump with D, but you should be able to get
one by enabling them[1]. And then you can use GDB[2]. But as implied
earlier I don't know how well it will work.

1. http://en.linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_enable_core-dumps
2.
http://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/19128-how-do-core-dump-analysis.html