Grokking concurrency, message passing and Co

BCS none at anon.com
Sun Jul 11 13:43:15 PDT 2010

Hello div0,

> On 11/07/2010 20:00, BCS wrote:
>
>> Hello div0,
>>
>>> The rule of thumb is don't bother spawning more threads than you
>>> have cpus. You're just wasting resources mostly.
>>>
>> You REALLY don't want more threads trying to run than you have cores.
>> Threads in a wait state, are less of an issue, but they still use up
>> resources.
>>
> I think you're going a bit far there.

In what way?

And In re-reading my post, I noticed it can be read it two ways. The way
I intended it, is as a "yes and" statement: while often there is little to
be gained by having more threads than cpus/cores, there is almost always
nothing to be gained by having more thread trying to do stuff at the same
time than you have cpus/cores to run them on.

--
... <IXOYE><