string[int[][]] ??

dcoder blah at blah.com
Thu Jul 22 14:21:15 PDT 2010

== Quote from Steven Schveighoffer (schveiguy at yahoo.com)'s article
> This is what I think you should use:
> string[int[2]]
> Although, I'm not sure if you can then do something like:
> chessboard[[0,1]] = "Rook";
> as the [0, 1] is typed as a dynamic array.  If it does work, it may
> actually create [0,1] on the heap and then pass it as an int[2], which
> would suck.

board[[0,0]] = "Rook";

seems to work.  thanks.  But, the foreach loop looks strange.  It looks like it
takes the hash value of the key:

 string[int[2]] board;

  board[[0,0]] = "Rook";
  board[[0,1]] = "Knight";

  foreach( pos, val; board) {
    writefln( "%s: %s", pos, val);
  }

Output:

2 9903680: Knight
2 9903696: Rook

> Or, if you know how big your chessboard is (8x8 isn't a lot of memory),
> then:
> string[8][8] chessboard;
> is pretty straightforward :)

Yes it is :)  Hehe....

Now, what if I wanted to do the following:

class Board {
  string[][] positions;

  this( int x, y) {
      // set the size of positions

I want positions to internally represent a chess board, a tic tac toe board, or a
Connect Four board, etc...

But, I want to fix the dimensions of the board when the board gets instantiated,
so that I can have the compiler do all the work of bounds checking for me.  I can
create class variables maxx, maxy and access functions that check against the
variables, but I'm wondering if there's a way to make the compiler do it for you.

Is there a way?

thanks.