string initialization question.

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 08:35:15 PDT 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:24:41 -0400, dcoder <dcoder at devnull.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Is there anyway in D to convenient fill a string variable with a char
> say X times?
>
> So, I'd like to do something like:
>
> string divider( size, '-');    // C++ notation.
> $divider = '-' x $size;        // perl notation.
>

> I thought I could do the following:
>
> const char divider[rowstr.length] = '-';
>
> but the compiler complains about not having a constant integer
> expression.
>
> thanks.

It's most likely complaining about rowstr.length not being a constant, not
the '-'.  This works:

const char divider[5] = '-';

If you want to allocate a new array on the heap with '-' in it, I think
there is a way, but I'm not sure how to do it.  I'm pretty sure there's a
runtime function to do it.

-Steve