Synchronized const methods

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Sat Jun 12 00:28:58 PDT 2010

Daniel Keep wrote:
> immutable means "no one can modify this."
>
> const means "someone might be able to modify this, but not you can't."

	So?

	Basically, what the OP said, is that we need readers-writer locks
[1]. A const synchronized method would use the read lock (and
therefore several threads can access the same object through *const*
synchronized methods simultaneously), but a non const synchronized
method would use the read-write lock (which would prevent anyone
else from accessing the same object through a synchronized method,
be it const or not).

		Jerome

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readers-writer_lock
mailto:jeberger at free.fr