Confused about const

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Mar 20 05:01:12 PDT 2010

Don:
> I think the problem is really that it's still very buggy. In particular,
> opAssign seems pretty defective. More importantly, struct constructors,
> post blit, and  struct destructors are still quite badly broken.

You are right, but in my opinion it's not just a matter of bugs. To solve real world problems (like bugs in code) you usually have to attack the problems from many sides at the same time. So once:

- the op overloading design is not too much bug-prone;
- such parts of D are debugged;
- the compiler performs several sanity tests on the operators defined by the programmer (even if this means disallowing few legit corner cases)

Then D2 op overloading can be safe enough to use :-)

Bye,
bearophile