dmd and gdc2 speed comparison [was: Re: Newsgroups, off-topic]

Joseph Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue May 4 07:45:45 PDT 2010

> My measurements were 2 minutes 2 seconds on D to 1 minute 20 seconds on
> C++, so not quite a 2x difference, but still significant.
>
> I can only attribute the difference to g++'s more mature
> optimization/inlining techniques.  I can see why you are interested in
> having gdc working to try and compare the two :)

Just a small note.  As per discussion on the D.gnu list, I installed an
alpha version of gdc2 based on the dmd 2.015 frontend and gcc 4.3.
There were difficulties in making a direct comparison -- compilation
problems which I guess are down to changes between 2.015 and 2.043 meant
I had to make some code tweaks -- but the speed of the gdc-compiled code
in terms of iterations per second did not seem much different to the
dmd-compiled code.