Loop optimization

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri May 14 09:40:52 PDT 2010

kai:

> I was scared off by the warning that D 2.0 support is experimental.

LDC is D1 still, mostly :-(
And at the moment it uses LLVM 2.6.
LLVM 2.7 contains a new optimization that can improve that code some more.

> Good to know, thanks (thats actually a great feature for scientists!).

In theory D is a bit fit for numerical computations too, but there is lot of work to do still. And some parts of D design will need to be improved to help numerical code performance.

>From my extensive tests, if you use it correctly, D1 code compiled with LDC can be about as efficient as C code compiled with GCC or sometimes a little more efficient.

Steven Schveighoffer:
> In C/C++, the default value for doubles is 0.

I think in C and C++ the default value for doubles is "uninitialized" (that is anything).

Bye,
bearophile