Different typeof syntax

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon May 17 12:37:42 PDT 2010

Robert Clipsham:

> The closest I've managed with my quick attempt is:
> ----
> mixin template typeOf()
> {
> 	alias typeof(this) typeOf;
> }
> struct Foo
> {
> 	int x;
> 	mixin typeOf;
> }

Thank you for your code :-) Your example shows this feature can become a built-in.

> I changed fsize to auto, as the type
> of .sizeof is different on x86_64, this isn't an issue now, but it's
> nice to keep code portable!

You are right, thank you. At the moment it's a size_t, that is an unsigned CPU word. (I have recently asked in bugzilla for all those values to become signed words, because unsigned are too much unsafe in a language that doesn't catch signed-unsigned conversions and has no integral overflows tests).

Bye,
bearophile