Questions about syntax decisions

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed May 19 04:29:42 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:55 AM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

>> As a side note, C++0x is going to add a new suffix operator to C++. This
>> operator would be useful in its own right. Are there any plans to add a
>> new opSuffix!("s") operator in D?
>
> Quite probably it will not become part of D, I think Andrei doesn't like that. D has Foo!"xxx"(...) syntax.

It would also be chaos in D, since D lacks fine-grained control over namespaces.

D's module==namespace model means that every module has to be designed
with the idea that every publicly visible entity is likely to end up
in the global namespace.  That doesn't really play together nicely
with the notion of defining a bunch of what are essentially
single-letter functions.

--bb