Newbie: copy, assignment of class instances

Larry Luther larry.luther at dolby.com
Thu May 27 14:04:35 PDT 2010

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:ht4krg$17l9$1 at digitalmars.com...
| On the base of your long experience do you like D so far?

There are many things that I like and I strongly agree with the failings
of C++ mentioned in the docs.  I don't like the asymmetry between structs
and classes.  I don't see why structs can't have inheritance.  I haven't
had a memory leak problem in C++ for many years so the need for a GC seems
minor.
I can only assume that it's needed to support strings and dynamic arrays.
I'm pushing forward on the assumption that I'll discover the paradigm that
will make everything fall into place.  It's hard to get the proper picture
from the documentation available on Digital-mars.  "Tango with D" didn't
significantly help either.  For example it took a great deal of time to
learn
that "private" can be used several ways:

  private member_function () {)

  private {
    member_function () {}
  }

  private:
    member_function () {}

  I'm anxiously waiting for something of the quality of the "Annotated C++
Reference Manual".

Larry