read-only access

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 14:02:19 PDT 2010

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:52:38 -0400, Jesse Phillips
<jessekphillips+D at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:54:13 -0400, Jesse Phillips
>> <jessekphillips+D at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Calling functions without () is a legacy feature left over which is
>> how
>> > D use to do properties. Some will say this is going to be removed, but
>> > do not recall this ever being said (only that it was implied it would
>> > happen if properties were used).
>>
>> TDPL states it will be required.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> I do not believe it does. I don't recall seeing it, nor do I think it
> makes any sense to even mention it considering it shouldn't mention bugs
> in the implementation. That said, I don't recall it mentioning functions
> being callable without parens.

It does not say that functions should be callable without parentheses,
because that mis-feature is deprecated.  Essentially, to someone who is
new to D, there is no need to mention the historical features of D.  It
does say that you need to put @property on functions to make them into
properties.  At least the copy I reviewed said that (I don't have a final
copy).

-Steve