2 bool optional params

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Nov 10 10:20:54 PST 2010

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 06:16:05 spir wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:30:55 -0800
>
> Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 November 2010 23:55:26 spir wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Is there a way for a func to hold 2 optional params of the same type?
> > >
> > > 	void f(int p, bool b1=false, bool b2=false) {
> > >
> > > 	    writefln("p=%s b1=%s b2=%s", p,b1,b2);
> > >
> > > 	 }
> > >
> > > Or is there a workaroud?
> >
> > Try compiling it. It works just fine.
> >
> > You should be able to have multiple optional parameters, and their types
> > shouldn't matter. Where you get into trouble is if that function has
> > overloads which conflict. Since, in effect, by declaring
> >
> > void f(int p, bool b1 = false, bool b2 = false)
> >
> > you've declared
> >
> > void f(int p, bool b1, bool b2)
> > void f(int p, bool b1)
> > void f(int p)
>
> Precisely, what a clear exposure of the issue! Sorry, my question was far
> to imprecise. I cannot have void f(int p, bool b2) {}
> If I call it with a single bool param, then D logically maps it to b1. In a
> language with named params, one would simply write f(whatever, b2=true);
>
> Is there any workaround?

I'm sure that you could find various ways to get around specific examples (such as
using Steve's proposal of a bitfield for bools), but generally, that's just not
how things work. D doesn't have named parameters. The type and order of
parameters are what determines which function overload to use.

The best general case solution that I can think of is to use a struct that holds
the parameters that you want to pass in. Have its fields default to whatever you
want as the default and only set the fields that you want to set.

In the case of bools, you could use a bitfield as Steve suggests, or you could
use named enums instead with yes and no (like Phobos does in several places) and
then declare multiple versions of the functions where one takes both enums and
one takes only the second one that the first takes. So, if your two bools
indicated that you should go south and you should go fast, you'd do something
like

enum GoSouth {no, yes};
enum GoFast {no, yes};

func(int p, GoSouth gs = GoSouth.no, GoFast gf = GoFast.no) { ... }
func(int p, GoFast gf) { ... } // likely assumes GoSouth.no

That doesn't really scale very well though. Using named enums instead of bools
in some cases though can make code clearer.

In any case, the struct solution is the best that I can suggest for the general
case, but really, D doesn't have named parameters. Things just don't work that
way. So, trying to make things work that way is going to require bending over
backwards on some level.

- Jonathan M Davis