defining in a module symbols for export

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 11:18:45 PST 2010

Hello,

Let us say I have a parsing library. Now, I want to define parsers in stand-alone modules -- for code structuration and reusability. Then, import them from apps that need them.
Is there another way than defining the parser (== list of patterns) at the module's top-level. I have nothing against this, since the module is dedicated to this anyway -- but dmd refuses.
More generally, I find myself unable to define structured objects at a modules's top level. for instancz:

=== mod.d ==
import std.stdio;

struct S {
    int i;
    void speak() {writeln("i: ",this.i);}
}
=== __trials__.d ===
import mod;

auto s = S();
s.speak();
s.i = 1;
writeln(s.i);

void main () {
}

=== compilation ===
__trials__.d(19): no identifier for declarator s.speak
__trials__.d(20): no identifier for declarator s.i
__trials__.d(21): found '.' when expecting ')'
__trials__.d(21): semicolon expected, not 'i'
__trials__.d(21): no identifier for declarator i
__trials__.d(21): semicolon expected, not ')'
__trials__.d(21): Declaration expected, not ')'

Why does dmd refuse? If I put the code in a function, I can compile, link, and run it. But this does not match my use case: I need to export symbols (patterns) defined there; so, i guess, they must be defined at the top of the module. Is there another solution?

I take the opportunity to ask whether it is possible to define which symbols are to be _ex_ported.

Denis
vit esse estrany ☣

spir.wikidot.com