A question about DbC

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Oct 9 18:39:01 PDT 2010

On Saturday 09 October 2010 08:39:30 bearophile wrote:
> J. Berger:
> > This is more or less what Jonathan said in his last post.
>
> You are right, if the state isn't changed between two method calls, there's
> no point in calling the invariant two times after the method call and
> before the next method call.

Yes, the problem creeps in because public methods are not necessarily the only
way to alter the state of an object. Running the invariant before the function
is run is actually a good catch on Walter's part. I wouldn't have thought of it
precisely because it wouldn't be necessary if the only way to alter an object is
through it's public methods (and that's often how classe/structs are written).

- Jonathan M Davis