Input handling? (newbie alert!)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Sep 12 05:36:33 PDT 2010

Jonathan M Davis:

> Informatics is essentially the term used in at least some European languages
> other than English. Personally, I think that the name is no better - if not
> worse - than computer science, since it implies that it has to do with the study
> of information, which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with computers,
> math, or logic.

I think the term "Informatics" is better than "Computer Science" for this field we are talking about, because despite there are parts of math and logic that it doesn't cover, it does cover the part related to the management of information, its processing, storage, and transmission, that are large parts of this field. On the other hand "Computer Science" is mostly misleading, both words don't fit very well with what this field is.

> In any case, I was just pointing out to Bearophile that the official English
> term is computer science so that he's better able to communicate in English

English is something you learn and use, but it's also something created by people, so it's also something you can influence, grow, and improve. This is why it's positive for everyone to try to improve the language.

> (from this and other posts, I gather that English is not his first language,
> though he's definitely fluent).

Thank you :-) You are right, English is not my first language. My English grammar has some evident holes (The usage of 'can', 'may' and 'might' are one of the most evident ones, that I need to fill). My general linguistic skills are awful, the work I have done to learn some English is probably enough for your average human to learn three languages :-) I now know a bit of English just because I was stubbornly determined to learn it, no matter how much work.

Bye,
bearophile