pure member functions

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Sep 18 00:04:21 PDT 2010

I assume that if you declare a member function as pure, then all of its
parameters - including the invisible this - are included in that. That is, if
all of them - including the invisible this - have the same value, then the
result will be the same.

I'm not quite sure way (perhaps because pure is very much a thing of functional
programming rather than object-oriented programming), but I feel very weird
marking a member function as pure. Is there really in point to it? Does it act
the same as if it were a pure static function that had an explicit parameter for
the object rather than the invisible this? If that's the case, then it would
seem like it would be sensible to mark virtually every member function as pure.
The few that would be unable to would likely be due to accessing globals, which
is usually a no-no anyway.

Am I misunderstanding something here? Is there a reason _not_ to use pure on
every member function that you can?

- Jonathan M Davis