time_t to simple date string conversion

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Apr 5 15:24:46 PDT 2011

> >> I'm reading documentation on std.datetime, and it appears there are
> >> added features that I don't have in 2.51 (Linux). Did features like
> >> 'SysTime' get added after 2.51?
> >>
> >> Does anybody have a one-liner to convert a time_t to a date string that
> >> should work for me?
> >
> > std.datetime was completely revamped with 2.52. What existed from in 2.51
> > has little to do with what's in 2.52, and it wasn't even publically
> > documented anyway. So, if you're using 2.51, you're still stuck using
> > std.date, which is rather broken. I'd definitely recommend that you
> > upgrade to 2.52 if you're still using 2.51.
> >
> > If you're using 2.51 and for some reason can't upgrade, then I'd
> > recommend that you just use the standard C functions. That would be less
> > error-prone than trying to use std.date, which is scheduled for
> > deprecation anyway.
> >
> > And assuming that you can't upgrade, if the reason for that is because
> > you're installed dmd with your distro, I'd recommend uninstalling it and
> > just downloading the zip file from the main site. Your distro is not
> > likely to keep dmd as up-to-date as downloading it yourself will, and it
> > improves too quickly to stick with a version which is months old. It's
> > easy to use the zip. All you have to do is unzip it to wherever you want
> > to unzip it, and the add /path/to/unzipped/dmd2/linux/bin to your path,
> > and it works (unless you're on a 64-bit box, then you need to install
> > certain 32-bit packages, but it's a fairly short list, and if your
> > distro actually includes a package for dmd, then it should be easy to
> > figure out what they are by looking at the dependencies for that
> > package).
> >
> > In any case, prior to dmd 2.52, there effectively was no std.datetime.
> > The date stuff was the rather buggy std.date, which is now scheduled for
> > deprecation. So, either you need to upgrade to 2.52, use std.date, or
> > use the standard C functions.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> So who do I bug to update the RPM build on the Downloads page? The zip
> and windows versions are 2.52, but the Linux RPM version is 2.51.

I'm afraid that I don't know. I just use the zip file. It's simple and it
works. Someone other than Walter takes care of the deb and rpm files, I think,
but I don't recall who does. Certainly, it appears that whoever deals with the
rpm file dropped the ball.

If you want to get the rpm updated (and it really should be), then I'd suggest
posting about it on the main newsgroup - digitalmars-D. That would have the
highest visibility.

- Jonathan M Davis