[SOLVED] [BUG?] Re: error "Not the start of the UTF-8 sequence"

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 03:17:10 PDT 2011

On 04/06/2011 11:53 AM, Kagamin wrote:
> spir Wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I get this error message:
>> 	Not the start of the UTF-8 sequence
>> without any other comment module name or whatnot.
>>
>> This happens when I just added toString to the following struct, and used it:
>>
>>       struct Node {
>>           // Note: level is equal to the number of chars up to this node.
>>           // Note: a 'path' node without entry has key="".
>>           char ch;
>>           uint level;
>>           Key key;
>>           Value value;
>>           string toString() {
>>               if (this.key != "")
>>                   return format("<%s %s:%s>", this.ch, this.key, this.value);
>>               else
>>                   return format("<%s>", this.ch);
>>           }
>>       }
>>
>> Hints? I'm blocked :-(

>       struct Node {
>           // Note: level is equal to the number of chars up to this node.
>           // Note: a 'path' node without entry has key="".
>           dchar ch;

Sorry, no, nothing to do with the type. The error came from a special case
where ch='\0'. Seems some routine in dmd does not like that; but no idea where
the error comes from.
There are two points to solve, I guess:
* The error message should tell where it happens.
* '\0' is a valid code point, should pass through without error.

Denis