What are delimited strings good for?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Apr 10 09:51:24 PDT 2011

> Ref http://digitalmars.com/d/2.0/lex.html
>
> What are some possible use cases for delimited strings?
> What is solved by having this in the language?

It's probably so that you can still use characters that require escaping in
the string without having to escape " everywhere. WYSIWYGS don't allow for
escaping characters, which can be annoying periodically. Still, delimited
strings do seem a bit funny to me, and I don't think that I've ever used them.
Presumably, they solved some problem fairly nicely, but the only thing that I
can think of is that they still allow for characters that require escaping but
don't force you to escape ", which could be very useful in strings with lots
of "s and other characters that need escaping.

- Jonathan M Davis