Why are unsigned to signed conversions implicit and don't emit a

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Apr 10 21:45:58 PDT 2011

Jonathan M Davis:

> Personally, I see _zero_ value in renaming byte, int, etc. to sbyte, sint,
> etc. It's well-known that they're signed. I don't see how adding an extra s
> would make that any clearer. Their names are perfectly clear as they are.

Discussing this here is probably useless, but:
- Unfortunately what's "perfectly clear" for the computer is sometimes bug-prone anyway.
- For me, and for Don and from other people that have had bugs in D caused by this, it seems they think of "bytes" as unsigned things.
- C# uses sbytes, and ubytes. Enough said.

Bye,
bearophile