Why are unsigned to signed conversions implicit and don't emit a warning?

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 00:31:55 PDT 2011

On 04/11/2011 02:42 AM, bearophile wrote:
> I and Don have asked (in Bugzilla and elsewhere) to change the built-in names into sbyte and ubyte, to avoid the common confusions between signed and unsigned bytes in D, but Walter was deaf to this.

I think a good naming scheme would be:

* signed   : int8 .. int64
* unsigned : nat8 .. nat64

(since "natural number" more or less means "unsigned integer number") already.
What do you think?

or counting in octets:

* signed   : int1 .. int8
* unsigned : nat1 .. nat8

(I prefere the latter naming scheme in absolute, but it would be confusing
because some languages --and LLVM, I guess-- count in bits.)

Denis