COM objects

Sean Cavanaugh WorksOnMyMachine at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 01:15:37 PDT 2011

I need some insight into how COM objects interoperate with D, as well as
some advice on how to manage them properly.

I've seen posts that IUnknown is treated specialy by the compiler, what
is the nature of this behavior?   Does this include any kind of
AddRef/Release behavior integration with the GC system or variable
assignment, or is it purely for making interfaces have compatible vtbl's?

If the AddRef/Release management isn't automatic is there a library
somewhere to help with it (i.e. a D version of ATL's CComPtr template,
or code similar to it)?

I suspect the answers are somewhere I'm just not familiar with the extra
libraries on dsource at the moment :)