TickDuration.ticksPerSec why would it be zero?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Apr 15 10:31:37 PDT 2011

> The documentation[1] states one should check if the value is zero to see if
> they can use it. For me this value is 0, Windows XP. So why would it be 0
> and what do I use when it is?

It means that QueryPerformanceFrequency failed:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms644905(VS.85).aspx

Looking at the doc page for it, it looks like it means that your hardware
doesn't support a high-resolution performance counter. I should probably
improve TickDuration's docs on that.

> On a related note, anyone know of a UUID generator? I'm using a possible
> incorrect translation of the example in RFC 4122[2].
>
> 1. http://digitalmars.com/d/2.0/phobos/core_time.html#TickDuration
> 2. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4122.txt

If all you need to do is generate one, and you're on Linux, then uuidgen would
do it, and I guess that you'd use libuuid if you wanted to do it
programatically. But I have noe idea what you'd do on Windows.

- Jonathan M Davis