How to get the dang thing to work (Was: Linux: How to statically link against system libs?)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Apr 26 13:28:22 PDT 2011

Ok, so I guess statically linking against the stuff isn't the way to go, and
apparently DLL hell is worse on linux. Sooo...What do I do?

In the other thread, Spacen said: "The way to do this is to link against the
oldest libc you need to
support, thus making the binaries forward compatible"

I know my way around Linux as a user, but with deeper system stuff like that
I'm pretty much lost. I don't have a clue how to do what Spacen suggests or
how to determine what version of libc I need. Can anyone help me out with
that?