NaCl stable ABI

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 17:15:05 PDT 2011

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Client-side scripting that throws away that god-awful JS crap being
> utterly useless?

As far as I can tell, it doesn't actually throw away JS! I've never
actually used Google Native Client, but looking through the docs,
I can't find any way to set event handlers or otherwise interact
with the html.

You still need to use Javascript to actually enhance the web page.
(if you are writing an app that isn't a web page, for the love of
God, please don't force it into the browser.) Maybe this will change
as it matures, but that's the *first* thing I would have focused on
(and indeed did in my weekend browser, although it's a different
story I guess because mine is more like an html widget than plugin.)

Also, I can't find a Firefox plugin or any other browser support.
It looks like the Google thing is Google-only, and opt in by the
individual users at that. In other words, utterly useless on real
world websites because it won't actually work for 99% of users.

The networking api looks pathetic too, and I doubt that will change,
since web browser security is supposed to be maintained here.

They added audio and video, so it might be usable for writing bad
games, but even that is poor - they don't let you access the operating
system.

It's just not a really compelling offering, even if it were ubiquitious, which,
again it isn't. It is apparently only available
on the worst browser on the market. Then, add on my belief
that javascript is fairly rare in a good site anyway (do most your
work on the server and you have a more useful environment and it
degrades more easily), and I say: useless.