NaCl stable ABI

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Aug 4 12:56:16 PDT 2011

"Andrej Mitrovic" <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2102.1312471399.14074.digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com...
> On 8/4/11, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>> There is nothing you've mentioned that can't be (better) fixed without
>> cramming everything into a browser.
>
> Where would you cram it then? Put MSN inside the game itself?

See below:

> It was cool being able to casually browse to other tabs, then going
> back to qlive and finding a game.

It's called Alt-Tab and Taskbar/Dock. If those aren't up to the task, they
can be improved. If it's the game that doesn't play well with those, then
the game can be improved. If it can be done in a browser then it can
obviously be done outside a broswer.

> UT for example had an integrated IRC client, but people preferred
> using mIRC and having a ut://123.123.123.123 protocol they can just
> click on to join a game.

Don't need the game to be run *in* a browser for that to work. First of all,
browsers have *always*  had the ability to lauch external apps upon special
url protocol names. Or at least for as long as I can remember anyway.
Secondly, there is no reason why dispatching on url-protocol can't be moved
to the OS-level (or at least a standard non-browser library), thus bypassing
the browser entirely.

> Don't forget having to minimize all the time
> to chat to someone on MSN while playing a game.

So the games can support playing in windowed mode. Problem solved. In fact,
many of them already do.

OT: Who the hell uses MSN?

> So there are some
> benefits to having a browser based interface for a game, imo.

Nope.