How do "pure" member functions work?

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Aug 22 15:57:02 PDT 2011

On 08/22/2011 10:19 PM, Don wrote:
> Timon Gehr wrote:

>>> It is actually very simple: a function marked as 'pure' is not allowed
>>> to explicitly access any static variables.
>>> Everything else is just compiler optimisation, and the programmer
>>> shouldn't need to worry about it.
>>
>> It can be of value to know that a function is pure as in mathematics
>> if it is strongly pure, but can have restricted side-effects if it is
>> weakly pure.
>
> Well, from the compiler's point of view, it's more complicated than
> that. There are const-pure as well as immutable-pure functions. A
> const-pure function has no side-effects, but cannot be optimised as
> strongly as an immutable-pure function.

What significant optimization do immutable-pure functions benefit from
that const-pure functions cannot? Is it just that the compiler cannot do
CSE in some cases if there is an impure call in between two const-pure
calls? (which I think would be rather insignificant)

> BTW: The whole "weak pure"/"strong pure" naming was just something I
> came up with, to convince Walter to relax the purity rules. I'd rather
> those names disappeared, they aren't very helpful.

In some contexts they are in fact useful, otherwise the compiler
implementation wouldn't have any use for them.

> But the basic point is, that knowing that there are no static variables
> is hugely significant for reasoning about code.  The strong pure/weak
> pure distinction is not very interesting (you can distinguish them
> using only the function signature).

Yes, but saying 'the function is weakly pure' is shorter than saying
'the pure function signature does include mutable references', just like
having a flag set to PUREweak is more efficient than examining the
function signature multiple times.