reading in text files

Brian Brady brian.brady1982 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 07:01:56 PDT 2011

All

I am working through Andrei Alexandrescus "The D Programming Language" but
have hit a road block fairly early on.

There is a program in the book which is designed to read through a text file
and do a simple word count. The program looks like this:

import std.stdio, std.string;

void main()
{
  //Compute counts
  uint[string] freqs;
  foreach(line; stdin.byLine())
  {
    foreach(word; split(strip(line)))
    {
      ++freqs[word.idup];

  //Prints count
  foreach(key, value; freqs)
  {
    writefln("%6u\t%s", value, key);

My query is basically how to read the text file in?

currently I am trying to use
./readingHamlet cat hamlet.txt

but it just hangs there, not doing anything(for a considerable time) so I am
assuming I am doing something wrong. There isn't any actual mention in the
book of *how* reading in the text file should be accomplished, so what is the
best way to do this?

std.file?

Seems silly providing a program that analyses a text file, without telling the
reader how to read in the text file, so I am wondering if there is some
assumed knowledge I am missing?

Regards.