Memory leak with BufferedFile?

Christian Köstlin christian.koestlin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 09:49:20 PDT 2011

On 8/28/11 1:00 , Leon wrote:
> I'm writing a simple program which uses merge sort to sort very large text
> files. I split the text file into several temporary files which are sorted and
> merged together.
>
> The trouble I'm having is that the BufferedFile class seems to have a memory
> leak. The memory usage of the process slowly goes up until it throws an out of
> memory exception. I can fix the memory leak by switching to the File class,
> but that makes the program much slower.
>
> Calling GC.collect() didn't help, and neither did explicitly deleting the
> BufferedFile object.

Thats very interesting!
Perhaps you can have a look at: https://github.com/gizmomogwai/performance
There I ran into performanceproblems using BufferedFile.
One of the best solutions I found till now is using mmfile as in
https://github.com/gizmomogwai/performance/blob/master/src/d/readbytes5.d.
Perhaps this could be of help for you.

I dont know how you have to access the data in the files, but perhaps
the interface of mmfile is good enough for you!

christian