Maximum Number of Threads?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Feb 6 14:48:19 PST 2011

On Sunday 06 February 2011 05:05:24 d coder wrote:
> Greetings
>
>   Is there a limit on the maximum number of threads that can be
> spawned? Or does it just depend on the value in
> /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max on a linux system?

Barring any bugs which manage to keep threads alive too long, it's going to be
OS dependent. core.thread (which std.concurrency.spawn uses) uses pthreads on
Linux. However, there _are_ currently some bugs with regards to spawned threads
not terminating however, at least some of which have been fixed in the git
repository (changes are in both druntime and phobos) but haven't been released
yet. So, I don't know how successfully you can use spawn at the moment.
Personally, I've had major problems with it due to bugs related to threads not
terminating. Other people have used it successfully. Some of those bugs _are_
finally being fixed however, and hopefully spawn will work much better in the next
release. Regardless, the max number of threads should be system dependent.

- Jonathan M Davis