Number of references to a Class Object

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Feb 12 09:02:14 PST 2011

On Saturday 12 February 2011 08:45:03 d coder wrote:
> > If you know roughly what to do and want to take a stab at producing a
> > viable patch to fix the problem, then feel free. If it's solid, it may
> > get in. I don't know. It doesn't hurt to try though (as long as you're
> > prepared for the fact that it may not be accepted).
>
> Thanks for letting me know of the licensing issues. I do not think I
> have the expertize required to fix this myself. So I hang my shoes
> here and wait for somebody else to get stuck in a similar situation.

It is a known issue, and it should probably be fixed at some point, but I don't
think that it's a high priority. So, there's a decent chance that it will be
dealt with, but I have no idea when.

However, it's not generally an issue, because you shouldn't normally be keeping
references around for stuff that isn't used anymore. The garbage collector is
smart enough to deal with circular references and the like, so the biggest cases
where you'd normally need weak references aren't actually a problem. You're
trying to do something fairly abnormal here.

- Jonathan M Davis