shared/unshared classes

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Feb 20 06:26:39 PST 2011

On Sunday 20 February 2011 05:36:25 spir wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 04:41 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> >> I'd have to study up on it more to know what the best way to handle it
> >> is (I've generally avoided dealing with shared), but what you'd
> >> probably end up doing is creating a wrapper class which was
> >> synchronized. However, you might be able to get it to just
> >> automatically use the right one (unsynchronized for unshared and
> >> synchronized for shared) if you use templates.
> >
> > Actually, now that I think about it, we're probably going to want a
> > template of some kind in Phobos which wraps an unsynchronized class with
> > a synchronized one. There are going to be plenty of cases where it would
> > be nice to have an unsynchronized class made synchronized (a prime
> > example would be a container class), and it would be annoying to have to
> > keep creating your own wrappers every time that you want to do that.
>
> I have not had a look at D's threading implementation, but from what I read
> I thought what you describe precisely was the whole point of
> unshared-by-default and the 'shared' keyword. Eg I thought something like:
> 	class Foo {...}
> 	shared foo = new Foo();
> would do what you write above. Else, what does 'shared' mean?

shared means that it's not thread local, and that means that you need to worry
about mutexes and synchronized and the like. So, Steve's concern is that if you
use the class and it's shared, it needs to be synchronized. But if it's not
shared, you don't want the overhead of synchronization. So, you make a version
which is not synchronized and then whoever uses it has to worry about using
mutexes to protect it. Creating a wrapper class which is synchronized is a good
way to do so. Having a template which produced such a wrapper for you would be
particularly useful so that you don't have to write a new wrapper class by hand
every time that you need have a synchronized version of an unsynchronized class.

- Jonathan M Davis

- Jonathan M Davis