Is std.array.replace supposed to work with char[]?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 12:30:04 PST 2011

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:40:08 -0500, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> I'm confused about how someone can implement a library like this. Every
> time I try to use D2 it's just a PITA to use. I've used D1 and Tango for
> several years and had no problem with that.

Strings are a sore spot for me, I think the current implementation is a
hack which leaves much to be desired.  However, it seems that Andrei
believes the current implementation is not only decent, but actually
better than any alternative.

> I assume this has been discussed, did that resolve in any plans to solve
> this?

I am, in my spare time, working on a way to represent strings that allows
strings to be what they are and arrays of chars or wchars to be what they
are.  It is not finished yet, but I've put forth a couple incomplete
examples.  Search for [review] on the D news group.

Things have gotten quite more complex when I realized that dchar is
actually not the most natural "element" of a string, since a dchar doesn't
represent a visible character (or one that a human would interpret as a
single character) and also that the exact same string can be sometimes
represented by two distinct sequences of dchars.  When I can finish the
proposed change, I will probably try integrating it with Phobos to see how
well it works.

-Steve