string vs. w/char*

Tyro[a.c.edwards] nospam at home.com
Mon Feb 28 08:35:47 PST 2011

On 2/28/2011 11:08 PM, J Chapman wrote:
> == Quote from Tyro[a.c.edwards] (nospam at home.com)'s article
>> Both implementations results in error code 1812 being returned from
>> GetLastError. explanation of the code reads:
>>        ERROR_RESOURCE_DATA_NOT_FOUND
>>        1812 (0x714)
>>        The specified image file did not contain a resource section.
>> The code I'm porting initially consisted of a resource.h file, a
>> generic.rc file and two icons. I have not tried to include the icons and
>> generic.rc file in the compilation because I do not know how to as yet
>> and I've only used half of the resource.h file: didn't think I need the
>> whole thing. Could this be the reason for the error? If so could you
>> direct me to the explanation of how to prepare these files for inclusion
>> in the compilation process?
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew
>
> You need to compile the .rc file (see
> http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/rcc.html), then add the resulting .res file
> to dmd's command line.

Awesome, this does the trick. However I get get a "GP Fault"? during
execution. Using windbg, I tracked it down to this piece of code:

void Create()
{
   _hwnd = CreateWindowExA(
     _exStyle,
     cast(const(char*))_wc.GetName(), // returns string
     cast(const(char*))_windowName,   // string variable
     _style,
     _x,
     _y,
     _width,
     _height,
     _hWndParent,
     _hMenu,
     _wc.GetInstance(),
     _data);

     assert(_hwnd, "Internal error: Window Creation Failed.");
}

The program craps at assert() but the error is generated. It just
displays a dialog box with the message: "test.exe has stopped working,
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..."

I'm thinking that _hwnd was never initialized and that assert is access
a null pointer but I cannot be sure. Any suggestions or ideas?